Youthprise & Detroit Future Youth Partner for Allied Media Conference 2014
This year Youthprise is partnering with Detroit Future Youth to coordinate a track at the 2014 Allied Media Conference: “Youth Media & Movements“. The Allied Media Conference is a Detroit-based annual collaborative laboratory of media-based organizing strategies for transforming the world. They recognize media as any way that people communicate with the world – and young people communicate with the world in a multitude of ways. AMC is coordinated by Allied Media Projects who have a network of sponsored projects working collaboratively in Detroit including Digital Stewards, Detroit Future Schools and Detroit Future Youth is a part of this network. Detroit Future Youth aims to strengthen and deepen youth social justice organizing in Detroit by partnering with youth programs that focus on social justice based education and multimedia creation, who are using digital media to transform their communities.
This year from June 19-22nd Detroit Future Youth and Youthprise will be coordinating a youth-centered track called “Youth Media & Movements”. A track is a shared theme that sessions will be framed around. We are currently seeking session proposals for our track, the intention is to build relationships between youth across the country, to learn from organizations doing work to transform young peoples lives nationally, and to transform the ways that young people’s contributions are seen in society.
Minnesota-based youth and organizations are strongly encouraged to propose sessions! Please circulate!
Call for proposals:
We want to cultivate and support youth-centered spaces, sessions, and movement building. With that in mind we designed the Youth Movements and Media track.
We know that youth are essential to movement building and we are asking for session proposals that are youth-centered. This means sessions that are designed and facilitated by and for youth; sessions that are accessible; sessions that are hands on; and sessions that promote the diversity of voices, skills and wisdom that youth around the world have to offer. We are specifically interested in proposals that incorporate media-making. If you aren’t sure if this track is for you, ask yourself the following questions:
- Are you a young person who has skills to share with other young people?
- Do you believe music can be a powerful tool for movement building?
- Do you have a project that explores how graffiti and other forms of street art can challenge gentrification?
- Are you a young doula who has worked with young mothers and offer a different perspective on parenting?
- Do you have innovative models to share around media based youth-led organizing and how to sustain it?
If you answered yes to any of these questions (or even if you have an amazing idea that isn’t already on this list) this track is for you! You can read the full track description here, but if you are a young person looking to connect with other young people building movements, making media and generally changing the world, this is your place.
We are looking for sessions that:
- Are designed and co-facilitated by young people, for young people
- Explore how young people are uniquely equipped to bridge that gap between community and organizations or movements.
- Highlight young people’s unique approaches to storytelling, whether it is via social media or mixtapes.
- Include an interactive, media–making element.
- Highlight a diversity of underrepresented youth perspectives.
- Use language that is easy to understand across learning styles
- Centers the heart versus just the intellect
- Are fun and interactive!
Here is the full listing of tracks, practice spaces and network gatherings. You can submit a session proposal here. If you are interested in attending but don’t want to propose a session you can register for the Allied Media Conference here. And if you have any questions feel free to reach out to Lizzy Shramko for further info, email@example.com.