RFP for our COVID-19 Emergency Response Round 3: Employment & Civic Engagement
COVID-19 Emergency Response Fund Round 3 Employment & Civic Engagement
Youthprise is pleased to announce the availability of funding for employment, economic development, and civic engagement activities focused on young people residing in Hennepin County.
As the most populous county and one of the most diverse counties in the state, Hennepin County is home to a large population of young people negatively impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. Many youth jobs, employment training opportunities, and civic leadership opportunities have been impacted by layoffs or reduced, delayed, or eliminated. Many families rely on the additional income earned by youth to provide household necessities and the loss of this income coupled with the loss of other family income has made COVID-19 an economic pandemic as well as a health pandemic.
The purpose of funding is to build employment, economic, and civic capacity for young people in Hennepin County designed to meet their immediate needs during the COVID-19 pandemic and create a pathway to long-term economic self-sufficiency.
Through a partnership with Community Action Partnership of Hennepin County, Youthprise has focused funding on organizations currently serving young people in Hennepin County with the experience, capacity, and readiness to operate short intensive four-month-long projects. Projects should focus on activities designed to give youth tools and skills that can address their immediate needs and lead to economic self-sufficiency such as:
- Employment Services
- Skills Training and Opportunities for Experience
- Career Counseling
- Job Search and Placement
- Post-Employment Supports
- Employment Supplies
- Civic Engagement and Community Involvement Services
- Leadership Training
- Getting Ahead Classes
- Volunteer Training
- Income and Asset Building Services
- Financial Capability Skills Training
- Financial Coaching/Counseling
- Financial Management Programs (including budgeting, credit management, credit repair, credit counseling, etc.)
Projects are encouraged to dedicate funding for youth wages and fringe benefits in support of job placement efforts. In addition, projects are encouraged to provide support services to promote success by addressing barriers in areas such as:
- Employment and Financial Wellness
- Education and Training
- Childcare and Youth Programming
- Health and Wellness
- Food and Nutrition
Where appropriate, a proposal can include partnerships to provide services. These partnerships must be explicitly described including the services to be provided by each partner, including costs, specific staff members providing services, etc.
Tasks & Deliverables
Awarded projects will be required to submit a monthly progress reports and invoices for payment. All recipients of funding will be required to track and report outcomes specific to activities and other information as required by the original source of funds. This will include the number of youth served as well as the number of the indicators listed below:
- Employment Indicators
- The number of unemployed youth who obtained employment to gain skills or income.
- The number of unemployed adults who obtained employment (up to a living wage).
- The number of employed participants in a career-advancement related program who entered or transitioned into a position that provided increased income and/or benefits.
- Civic Engagement and Community Involvement Indicators
- The number of program participants who increased skills, knowledge, and abilities to enable them to work with community based agencies and initiatives to improve conditions in the community.
- Of the above, the number of participants who improved their leadership skills.
- Of the above, the number of program participants who improved their social networks.
- Of the above, the number of program participants who gained other skills, knowledge and abilities to enhance their ability to engage.
- Income and Asset Building Indicators
- The number of program participants who increased their financial management knowledge and skills.
Organizations will be required to describe how they will follow Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) guidelines for COVID-19 for safety and social distancing throughout the proposed project.
Eligibility & Requirements
Eligible organizations are 501(c)(3) youth-focused organizations, multi-service organizations with dedicated youth departments, and non 501(c)(3) organizations with fiscal agents that serve young people 15 to 24 residing in Hennepin County. Furthermore, the young people served by awarded projects must be at or below 200% of the Federal poverty guidelines. Please find the latest Federal poverty guidelines by clicking the link: https://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty-guidelines
Funding cannot be used for the following:
- Purchase of equipment
- Used as a match for Federal grant funds
Youthprise staff with the assistance from staff from Community Action Partnership of Hennepin County will review, score applications, and make recommendations for funding. Applications that demonstrate capacity, experience providing economic self-sufficiency and civic engagement services, as well as a history working with young people in Hennepin County are best positioned for funding.
Contract Award Information & RFP Timeline
- $150,000 is available for award.
- The funding for this award is available via a partnership with Community Action Partnership of Hennepin County and the federal Community Services Block Grant.
- Projects will be funded for four months beginning September 1, 2020 and ending December 31, 2020.
- Fifteen $10,000 contracts will be awarded.
8-14-20 at 2pm
Week of 8-24-20
Technical assistance is available for help with interpreting instructions and submitting your proposal. Questions will only be accepted via email at email@example.com.
How to Apply
Applications are accepted online through our Foundant portal. Applications must be submitted by 11:59 PM CDT on 8-24-20. We encourage you to submit your application early to give you ample time to ask questions or address any technical difficulties you may experience. To apply now please click on the apply button below.
Questions regarding the application will be accepted by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.