RFP for 2018 YPAR Cohort Now Open!
2018 YPAR Request for Proposals
Youthprise is pleased to announce that the request for proposal process for the 2018 Youth Participatory Action Research (YPAR) cohort is now open. YPAR is an innovative approach to positive youth and community development rooted in social justice principles in which young people receive training and support to conduct and lead systemic research to improve their lives, their communities, and the institutions intended to serve them. YPAR developed from Participatory Action Research (PAR), an approach and epistemology that involves the people most affected by a particular issue in conducting research and analysis in order to develop solutions to bring about social, cultural, and/or political transformation.
Youthprise values this approach and understands that it is integral to healing communities and building social movements that address root causes of disparities and injustice. Youthprise intends to build on the success of previous YPAR cohorts by expanding the number of YPAR teams, increasing the number of youth researchers, increasing youth leadership and engagement, and adding to the body of knowledge regarding issues that affect youth and their communities.
YPAR teams will be developed, sponsored, housed, and facilitated over a 12-month project period by applicant organizations. Organizations best suited to sponsor YPAR teams are those that model positive youth development and value youth voice, youth leadership, and youth action. YPAR teams will receive training and technical assistance; however, applicant organizations must be able to dedicate a facilitator with some familiarity with research, evaluation, or organizing. YPAR teams produce research focused on social action that is informed by local community input, therefore applicant organizations must be familiar with and comfortable with engaging communities connected with their YPAR youth. Supporting this youth-led community engagement approach toward research is critical to developing leadership and technical skills as well as building the capacity of young people to be change makers. More information about how YPAR teams conduct and approach their project including youth, adult, and organization roles and responsibilities will be covered during the grant information webinar.
Grant Program Information
- $90,000 is available in funding for 2018 projects.
- Four $22,500 grants will be awarded.
- Grants are one year beginning on October 1, 2018 and ending on September 30, 2019.
- YPAR orientation, subsequent trainings, and technical assistance will be provided to prepare research teams for their projects.
Eligibility & Requirements
Eligible applicants include educational institutions, 501(c)(3) youth-focused organizations, and 501(c)(3) community, social justice, and research organizations that have a focus on issues that affect youth. Organizations described above with fiscal sponsors are also eligible to apply. Organizations must be located in Minnesota and commit to the following:
- Assemble a team of young people ages 15 to 24 years of age to develop and lead research.
- Provide appropriate compensation for youth researchers.
- Assign a facilitator with research, evaluation, and/or organizing qualifications or experience to provide support to youth.
- Participate in YPAR orientation and trainings.
- Participate and share information and data in quarterly meetings of the YPAR network.
- Present research, data, and findings to the community and to the YPAR network.
- Submit your data and findings to Youthprise.
- Complete a final report that consists of an interview with Youthprise staff to summarize your process, your findings, your outcomes, and your research journey.
A two-stage review process will be used to award YPAR grants. The first stage will consist of an evaluation of grant applications by community reviewers primarily comprised of young people. The second stage will consist of in-person interviews with Youthprise staff and young people. Recommendations from the review process will be made to the Youthprise Board of Directors for final approval on 9-18-18. The selection process will include the following:
- Evaluation of your capacity to assemble a team of youth researchers willing to commit to a yearlong research project.
- Evaluation of your organization’s or facilitator’s qualifications or experience engaging youth and/or experience conducting research, evaluation, or organizing issues-based campaigns.
- Evaluation of the scope of your research project, the potential for application of your findings, and degree of engagement with the community.
- Evaluation of your project and participant goals and outcomes.
- Evaluation of how youth researchers are being compensated for their work
June 8th 2018
Live Grant Information Webinar
June 25th 2018
July 20th 2018
Grant Review Completed
Aug 16th 2018
Sept 21st 2018
YPAR Projects Begin
Oct 1st 2018
TBA first week of Oct 2018
How to Apply
Grant applications are accepted online through the Youthprise grants management system. Grants must be submitted by 11:59 PM CDT on 7-20-18. We encourage you to submit your application early to give you ample time to ask questions or address any technical difficulties you may experience. A copy of the full application can be found below. A link to the recorded Grant Information Webinar will be added below on 6-25-18. To apply now please click on the apply button below.
To register for the live Grant Information Webinar. Please click here.