Job Posting: MAA Community Navigator (Tax Specialist)
Youthprise is a philanthropic organization that works to increase equity with and for Minnesota’s Indigenous, low-income, and racially diverse youth. Youthprise does this by directly supporting youth and youth-serving organizations through mobilizing and investing resources, advancing knowledge, and advocating for change. Youthprise’s three priority areas are: learning and leadership, economic opportunity, and health and safety.
Our Minnesota Afterschool Advance (MAA) program, which we operate in collaboration with Venn Foundation, helps families pay for out-of-school time activities and computer hardware using the K-12 Education Tax Credit.
As the MAA Community Navigator Tax Specialist, you will serve as a first point of contact for families seeking help with a variety of program needs. These duties include the following:
- Serving as the team’s internal expert on the K-12 Education Tax Credit
- Contacting families during tax filing season to remind them to claim the K-12 Education Tax Credit when filing their taxes
- Trouble-shooting any issues that families may have with the K-12 Education Tax Credit
- Identifying community tax preparers and educating them on how to successfully claim the K-12 Education Tax Credit for MAA families
- Answering basic questions about the MAA program via phone, text, or email
- Helping families complete the MAA application or following up with families to fix incomplete applications
- Assisting families with searching and registering for available out-of-school time activities via the MAA website
You may also assist with outreach to eligible families to promote MAA depending on capacity and program needs.
Number of Positions Available: 1
Schedule: Part-time, up to 19 hours per week (will vary by week depending on program needs). Schedule is flexible, but we expect that you return communications from families within one business day. Position is expected to start in January 2022. This position is based in Minnesota and is primarily remote work.
Compensation: Non-exempt, $20.00 per hour. Note: This is not a benefits-eligible role.
Education, Experience & Skills: No minimum education level required. Experience with filing individual tax returns and ability to analyze tax documents preferred. Ideal candidate has a demonstrated commitment to the community and experience working or volunteering in the nonprofit or education sectors. Strong ability to learn, ask questions, and meet deadlines. Strong critical thinking, interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills. Because our program serves families from very diverse backgrounds, experience working with and knowledge of the Hmong or Spanish language skills are strongly preferred.
Closing Date: November 28, 2021
Youthprise is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.