5 Questions with My Bui, Programs & Grants Administrator
My supports the grantmaking initiatives of Youthprise and provides technical assistance to youth-focused organizations. She graduated with a focus in Political Science and worked in Chicago at an equity-based philanthropy that funds youth-serving organizations prior to coming to Youthprise. You can reach out to My to learn more about our grant programs or if you’re interested in crafting and art.
Tell us about your role in one sentence.
Get money out! (Oprah voice: you get money, and you get some money!)
Who/what inspires you and your work?
Inspired by a world in which communities most directly impacted by society's most complex issues have the resources and decision-making capacity to create the change they want to see in the world..
If you could give your younger self one piece of advice, what would you say?
Don't be so worried about needing to know every step of your "path". There is not one singular path and if you just follow what you love to do and what improves the lives of others around you, you will find that you like where you'll end up. AKA stop trying to plan every part of your life!
Favorite quote/saying ...?
"Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth." - Shirley Chisholm
Describe your perfect day!
Perfect day is 70 degrees, sunny, and slight wind to keep me cool. I'm out walking with my family alongside some body of water with a boba drink in hand. Afterwards, I'm eating sushi or korean bbq and playing board games with family and friends.
- What is your favorite color and why? Favorite colors are magenta and rose gold. I used to have a pair of glasses that were magenta and the color just makes me so happy. My wedding band and engagement ring is rose gold and it was my only criteria when choosing my rings.
- On a flight do you prefer the window seat or the aisle seat? Definitely, window!
- Early bird or night owl? Night owl.
- Dogs, cats or other? Both (especially if I wasn't allergic to cats!)
- If you could eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be? I love food so much so choosing one is so hard. I think I would have to pick any noodle soup my mom makes. If you want to try to some Vietnamese food that is not Pho or banh mi, I highly suggest Bun Rieu, Bun Bo Hue, and Banh Xeo!
To learn more about our other team members, CLICK HERE!
Youthprise is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.