2015 Change Fellows Application Now Open!
Expanding our learning and investments in young people
Youthprise Change Fellows are young people between the ages of 16 and 25 who are stirring up currents of change in their communities in Minnesota. Fellows participate in a process that equips them with the tools they need and a network of support to implement their ‘big idea,’ launch an expanded learning (out-of-school time) program, or set their innovative solution in motion to address a critical issue in their community. The initiative can be a new concept or an existing model.
Change Fellows is a key strategy for Youthprise in 2015 – making a deeper investment in young people reflecting our commitment to finding and investing in initiatives that accelerate learning beyond the classroom. By being innovative and valuing youth engagement, the Change Fellows initiative not only provides youth with authentic opportunities for leadership and professional experience, but also creates opportunities for young people to actually make changes they deem important in their communities.
Applications due January 23, 2015 at 5:00pm CST.
CHANGE FELLOWS PROGRAM GOALS
1) Support young people to drive change in their communities, by helping them to enhance their work, develop their big idea, and link it with what’s going on in broader systems in order to effectively implement and move it to action.
2) Foster the growth of networks of young people who encourage one another, collaborate, and challenge the status quo.
3) Connect youth with community infrastructure for collaboration, support and the sharing of effective practices.
- Age 16-25
- Live in Minnesota
- Must have a commitment to life-long learning and transformation
- Strong willingness and desire to share and mobilize a big idea
- Proposed project must address an issue in the applicant’s community, whether geographic or other
What does a Change Fellow do?
- 1 year commitment beginning February 7, 2015
- Participate in ten personal & professional development sessions with the Change Fellows cohort
- Participate in the curriculum, read two books, keep a visual journal
- Complete implementation plan
What does a Change Fellow get?
- $3,500 stipend to actively participate
- Curriculum materials
- Opportunity to apply for an implementation grant after successfully completing the fellowship
Orientation: February 7, 2015 9:00am – 3:00pm
- Create a 3-5 minute video application, include answers to following questions:
- Describe who you are, include your name, age, school, grade level, and the community in which you live
- Explain your big idea and its connection to expanded learning/out-of-school time/afterschool and how your idea will impact systems, build communities and ensure all Minnesota youth thrive.
- Who you will work with to actualize the big idea. Please describe and list the community partners (organizations and/or individuals) that will help mobilize your idea into action.
- Describe why it is important to do this work, why you want to be a Youthprise Change Fellow
- Use photos to create a slideshow, use video from a camera phone or webcam video, or produce it like a professional!
- Upload the video to a video sharing website (i.e. YouTube.com, Vimeo.com, etc.).
- Submit application online with the link to your video by the entry deadline. DEADLINE HAS BEEN EXTENDED TO January 23, 2015, 11:59pm CST. IF YOU HAVE ANY TROUBLE WITH THE ONLINE FORM, SEND AN EMAIL WITH A LINK TO YOUR VIDEO APPLICATION TO LIBBY@YOUTHPRISE.ORG.
- Include the subject heading: Change Fellow Video Application and include your name, phone number and email address (to be used application update purposes only, no solicitations.)
REQUIREMENTS & RESTRICTIONS
- You must be a youth age 16-25 to apply
- Include original content in your application. Do not submit a video that has been submitted elsewhere.
- Video must NOT be longer than 5 minutes.
- Avoid profane language, violence, sex or personal attacks on people or organizations.
- Avoid violating copyright laws or using brand names or logos other than those you have been granted permission to use in your video. You agree to indemnify Youthprise for any claim, demand, judgment, or other allegation arising from your possible violation of someone’s trademark, copyright, or other legally protected interest in any way in your video.
Youthprise staff and a panel of youth will review all video applications, score on a standard rubric, and select ten Change Fellows. Notifications will be made by January 29, 2015.
IF YOU HAVE ANY TROUBLE WITH THIS ONLINE FORM, AN ALTERNATE WAY TO SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION IS TO SEND AN EMAIL WITH A LINK TO YOUR VIDEO APPLICATION TO LIBBY@YOUTHPRISE.ORG. THE DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION HAS BEEN EXTENDED TO January 23, 2015, 11:59PM CST.